The past two days, my fellow hero in anxiety, The Bloggess, has encouraged her readers to first post things they hate that everyone else loves, and then the inverse – things they love that others don’t get.
This exercise was her way of reminding us that us, each of us, either who we are or what we write/produce/put out into the world (or all of the above) is not for everyone. Not everyone is going to like us or understand us, and that’s okay. Nay, it’s normal and expected.
As for me, I despise:
- whiskey (I involuntarily shudder each time it touches my tongue. That’s what she said.)
- David Sedaris (Okay, so despise is way too strong of a word for Mr. Sedaris. I just don’t get him, really. I’ve read several of his books and I keep really trying to find him funny, and I only find him mildly amusing some of the time.)
- licorice (bitter and gross)
- vests (your arms are still cold)
- pot roast (dry and tough and I don’t want my meat tasting like carrots and my carrots tasting like meat)
- potatoes that aren’t highly processed…like the kind in pot roast
- turkey (like, the Thanksgiving kind. It’s dry and tasteless. I eat at Thanksgiving for the sides. And the pie. Mmmmm, pie.)
- sausages (I’m a horrible mostly-German person)
- I guess I just don’t prefer most meat, really…except bacon
- IPAs (I don’t like drinking Pine Sol)
- The Smashing Pumpkins (whiny voices)
- Keanu Reeves (never cared for his acting)
And I love:
- the smell of gasoline
- writing resumes
- Almond Joys (sometimes you feel like a nut)
- really depressing and/or traumatic reading material
People who know me – was there anything I missed? I’m sure it’s easier for my friends to remember just how much of a weirdo I am. Much thanks.
Now you! You go; it’s your turn. What things do you love/hate that most others don’t?